Tuesday, September 8, 2009

healing power of nature


There's a lot to be said about the healing power of nature. Today marks 8-days since the first round of chemo. The first four days of the experience basically translated into four days of death, extreme fatigue, poisonous toxicity, nausea, dizziness, chemicals flowing through my body, nasty medicated taste in my mouth, loss of appetite, and of course my favorite - the electrical jolt to the jaw every time I put food or liquid of any temperature into my mouth. That was last weeks Monday through Thursday, the first four days of riding the chemo tidal wave. Day five, Friday was the resurrection, the day I finally had the strength to get out of bed and started to feel normal, it was the first day I was no longer bedridden, and had the strength to re-engage with my life (with some lingering side-effects). Parashakti and I went to the Omega Institute for their Ecstatic Chant weekend where we brought our good friend Vishal Vaid to perform. We spent three healing nights upstate on the Omega campus.

As I said, there is something to be said about the healing power of nature, we all know it; the fresh air, the greenery, being outdoors, sleeping in a cabin in the woods far from NYC car alarms and traffic jams, far from the wonderful air next to our L.I.E. apartment, far from the chaotic frequency of the city. Without question, being at Omega helped me shake off the chemo funk. Today, I feel like I did not have any chemo, I'm really only reminded of it because of the port in my chest (the pain has relatively dissolved), and that Round Two is approaching in less than a week (9/14). This week is all about preparing my body for the next round - fueling my body with healthy greens, regular exercise and prayer, and catching up on some neglected work! I want to say thank you to the Stephan, Ana, Brett & Helema, the Omega family, the Omega piano, the Kirtan crew, the Vaid family and of course my wife for the best few days I have had since the surgery in July. I'm back!

4 comments:

  1. dear fabian

    thank you for writing about this experience. you're very brave and generous

    sending you love and healing from israel
    zohar

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear fabian,
    thank you for sharing your journey. you are an awakened, brave, courageous warrior with an amazing support. good vibrations and prayers for healing are pouring your way from the river and the woods north of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Fabian,

    I just found about this new part of your life through Bill. I send you my own warmth and healing energy and will follow your journey very closely. Great to see you documenting thoroughly here, and I look forward to hearing more as you move healthily forward. Todd Reynolds (violinist from Preston and Theo's Party)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Fabian -
    What a piece of shit. I just heard about your cancer, and I am so sorry you and your family and friends have to go through this. I wish you strength - I see you already have the required sense of humor - and patience to make it through the difficult regimen of chemo. I know that music will help you heal. Much love and good wishes,
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete