Thursday, September 17, 2009


As the chemo is fading out of my system I'm now able to write. Round II was not as fatal as the first round two weeks ago, but still, this is no picnic. I'm faced with a lot of anger in the knowing that my abilities are being compromised by the absorption of the platinum brews integration with my blood. The pressure I've felt for the last 48-hours on the front of my brain pressing down on the roof of my eye balls is far beyond headache or migraine, it's something entirely new to my experience of life. I'm grateful that I only have to endure it for a few days, but these past days have proven that I have to enforce a policy of absolute inactivity. I attempted to work for a few hours on Tuesday, but it only accelerated the spinning. I tested my boundaries with neuropathy by holding onto ice, I can only endure the jagged little lightening needles through my finger-tip down towards my knuckles. I experienced the burning of my tongue by eating watermelon, I'm not joking! It was akin to searing ones tongue with hot soup. Additionally, my drinking a room temperature glass of apple cider lead to my throat adopted the effects of consuming shards of broken glass. And yes, the wonderful stabbing of the jaw bones when eating anything is still a companion of mine. Also, my sense of smell is hypersensitive. Fortunately, I've learned what to expect and how to deal with some of the predictable side effects. The most difficult one to bare is the hundred pounds that push on my brains into my eye sockets, I call it chemo brain. I had hoped to bounce back quickly from chemo, but yet I still remain here in NYC while my wife is the plane I was scheduled to ride with her to LA this morning. I will join her, and Ali, and Kailash and the band and friends in LA on Saturday, in time for our Sunday show at the Hollywood Bowl. Have I mentioned that after a year of Ali and I representing Kailash that the album has finally been released this week on Cumbancha! Please, if you're going to do me a favor you can either buy the album, or arrange for an iPhone app to be produced by my 'UpriseMozaik' venture... All this said, Round II was easier than Round I, hopefully Round III will be easier than Round II.

I spent time with my oncologist yesterday after I learned how to disconnected myself from the chemopack. The good news, I can take the supplements my friend Dr. Gabriel Cousens suggested I ingest to strengthen my blood cell count and immune system - today I start. Hopefully it will make Round III more tolerable. The unfortunate news, I can not take a lower does of chemo - it is what it is. Leading up to LA I'm going to drink a ton of green juices and get to the Russian Baths twice so I can sweat out the chemicals and regain my vitality before boarding the plane.

1 comment:

  1. thank you once again for sharing your journey with us. you are a brave and beautiful soul! i look forward to connecting as soon as you are ready!

    ReplyDelete