Friday, September 11, 2009

cyclical pattern of death and rebirth


Since my last entry upon returning from Omega my vitality has fully returned. With the passing of Labor Day Weekend it feels like everyone has returned to work. It's been a bit challenging for me to look at what I can realistically do and what I can not take on. Basing this theory on my chemo experience last week, my existence for the next 6-months will be a 2-week cyclical pattern of death and rebirth, one week of death followed by a week of life, and onward towards Valentines Day will this cycle continue. The discipline of meeting my own self-imposed deadlines in such short spaces of time will hopefully provide me the ability to complete a smattering of half baked projects that have been sitting on my desk requiring focused attention. All that said, it's been a productive few days - it's the first time I have done ANY work since July 15th, when the unplanned operation took place... really since July 1st, when my precious cat for 17-years, Fairuz died in my arms. It feels really good to be able to work!

Beyond work, this week has also been one of training and preparation for the 2nd round of chemo. I've been fueling myself daily with 4-5 green juices, eating healthy, regular prayer (in alignment with the call to prayer that sings out of my iPhone every few hours reminding me when the hundreds of millions of fasting Muslims observing Ramadan are also on their knees), some exercise, and regular time around the piano writing songs. I was looking pretty good before, but now thirty pounds lighter, I feel and look better than I have in years. all my clothes are big on me. I do not look like I'm dealing with cancer, but this IS the week of life, next week will be considerably different.

As major rainfall descends upon the eastern seaboard, it is safe to say that our GlobeSonic Summer Dance Party on The Hudson will be canceled by the City Parks Foundation tonight. I was really looking forward to it. We had over 1200 people attend our last party on the Hudson, it truly fed my spirit as it was the first time I had really been out since the hospitalization. I do not plan on DJing until November when Parashakti and I launch a new event entitled 'Illuminate' at the brand new Open Center (more on that later). I have a fine weekend of activities leading me to Mondays Chemo. I will goto the United Nations for " A Concert for Pakistan", be present for for a 'Shivah' in observance of the passing of my friends father, meet with the renown Dr. Robert Young, brunch with my Cuban cousin Leonor who I have not seen for years, and hopefully I will get to The Russian Baths and sweat out what ever chemicals may still be lingering in my body so that I am even more ready for the 2nd round. I was at The Baths yesterday, I am very very fortunate that I have not experienced the electrical jolting side-effect that cold can have on the body, it only manifests when I eat (I've learned how to work with it). Hopefully this weeks preparations will give me the strength and stamina I need to get on the plane to LA on Thursday for the Kailash Kher concert at the Hollywood Bowl. I'm going to try to cheat a day off from my death sentence to get to LA.

Keep sending the good vibes - FKA

No comments:

Post a Comment