Sunday, January 24, 2010

Round 11 - on the 15th purge

It's been 6-days since I was last in front of my computer. I wish I could say it was because I was on retreat deep in the Peruvian Amazon making a profound connection with nature, or recuperating on a sun drenched sandy beach in the Caribbean, or detoxing with my wife in Costa Rica at a yoga intensive; but no, this was a chemo week - round 11. I'm finally climbing out of it's shadow. I'm not one with a habit of complaining, and I've expressed in previous blogs the reasons I write this; but more than anything, I write this for myself and others that might benefit from my experiences through chemo.

Because of my age, and because I am approaching the conclusion of these treatments, the chemo has gotten more aggressive. This past round was by far the most hellish of them all. Thinking about it makes me sick. Simply put, 5-days in bed, absolute weakness, 5-days of continual vomiting, total nausea, inability to hold anything in my system, not even water or the anti-nausea meds. The chemo squeezed itself deeply into my blood and bones. I vomited so much I stopped counting on the 15th purge. My old friend Vishal had me on the phone as I was having a meltdown on Friday night. His trusted diagnosis lead me to the ER.

I had to spend my Saturday in the emergency room at Mt. Sinai with my devoted mom. My dehydrated body got pumped with 5-litters of fluid, two smaller bags of potassium and two hits of anti-nausea medication. I had vomited so much that small ulcers have formed at the back of my throat. The simple act of swallowing my slimy medicated saliva currently provides an excruciatingly painful experience; as if when the opposite walls of my throat compress together to swallow they stab each other with tiny sharp blades instead of kissing and giving thanks for the yumminess entering the body. Sipping warm tea, broth, some pita and hummus, letting some chocolate melt in my mouth - insane pain. My larynx and esophagus are on fire. My tongue is chalk white. The doctors say that if I were not on chemo it would heal quickly as the throat regenerates new cells continually, but since chemo kills all the good and bad cells, it will take longer. I've never moaned and groaned more in my life. Add to the mix my hair has been thinning and slowly falling off. Thank God, this hell is almost over, Feb 1st is the 12th and final chemo session. I'm almost there…

9 comments:

  1. fabian dear - keep a strong heart and you will emerge victorious. hadn't checked your blog since before apap so was surprized to see myself in front of webster hall. wish i could be there for the lpr event, but will make a donation in your name.

    can't wait to see you upon your arrival on the left coast.
    sending my love and long, long hugs to you across this large nation.
    leigh ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. amazing! you are rocking it brother. thanks for sharing this. i'm deeply grateful for and humbled by your struggle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - I don't know you, but am touched by your spirit. Emerged from 3 rounds of chemo myself... you will feel good again and appreciate life even more....

    Sending light, prayers and blessings, G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabian, we met at Hassan and Paula's wedding years ago. I'm sorry we haven't stayed in touch but I just saw the notice for the benefit show and found my way here. I'm wishing you all the best as you get to the 1st and the last treatment. And I want to honor you for your strength and honesty. Take care and know you're held in loving regard by more people than you probably know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabian, my brother, I just found out about your illness. If there is one person who has the fortidute to get through it, it is you. My best to you. Love, Axel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fabian,
    I've been following your events for years and am so sorry to hear of your illness and suffering. I went through chemo five years ago when I was 31 and can relate to much of the above. It fucking sucks. It's terrifying. It is the worst thing you will ever go through, hands down. And you know this, but I'll say it from the other side: It WILL pass. You will get stronger and healthier, and untoxed. You will feel normal and balanced and good in your body again. Sooner than you think. It helped me enormously to realize that all of that sick-making stuff was also healing me in deep, powerful, true ways, which it did. I am sending you loads of light and love and the reminder that you are surrounded by it always. I love that you are sharing your story and I am grateful to the joy you bring to the world. Many gentle blessings.
    And if you ever want to talk to a yogic survivor stranger, to listen or share tips or whatever, please email me.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Fabian,

    I don't know you personally but did attend some parties in NY where you were DJ. I wanted to tell you about a Japanese technology used in hospitals in Japan for over 30 years that I believe will help you recover from cancer. Cancer can only grow in a very acidic body - that was discovered by Dr. Otto Warburg who won the Nobel Prize in 1931 and 1944. This technology takes tap water and changes the pH of the water through electrolysis, and gives the water many beneficial properties which aid the body in getting rid of acidic waste which accumulates in the cells. There is a lot more to it, and you can read about it at www.WatersofHealth.com. You can contact me at 917 509-3256, and I will be glad to give you information as to where you can get some of this healing water at no charge to try.

    All the best,
    Hana Dolgin
    Hydration Consultant

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear fabian -

    i was reading your post and both grimacing and identifying and feeling grateful at the same time. it's scary how prevalent cancer is these days. i'm a friend of juliet/rabiya's and i am dealing with a rare uterine cancer - and writing about it as well as living as a single mother in nyc.

    i'm somewhat envious as i've had 12 sessions of chemo myself and i've got 6 more to go. though i am lucky enough not to have had such an intense reaction - or perhaps my weekly chemo isn't so strong. cancer cures seems to wreck such different havoc on each body.

    i wish you lots of love and healing.

    www.amazonsofnyc.blogspot.com

    xx ameena

    ReplyDelete